Friday, June 3, 2011

Google +1 could be pretty good if people start using it

Since yesterday Google has opened up the new "Google +1" to all websites online, not just their search results like before. I started using it now, I also saw it popping up as an option here on my blogspot Blog. So the fight has started to take over what the Facebook Like button started. But I think Google could turn this into something just as big or even bigger.

One of the advantages I think Google has is that they can deeply integrate it into their Android mobile OS which is now the most popular smartphone OS in the world. Also, they can integrate it into Chrome. Here is an extension that one can use in Chrome:

http://goo.gl/A91Im

Chrome is quickly gaining popularity and is already one of the biggest browser platforms, for good reason. It is quicker and more minimal than IE or FireFox and significantly faster. I am really curious how the Google +1 project will turn out. I hope it will do well so we do have an alternative to Facebook Like.

The purpose of all this of course are customized social search results. If you +1 any website and your friends search for this topic they will see the pages the you +1 before before other results. Over time this could be very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment